Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chunk9

"Proper feedback can make the difference between a measurable, successful system and one that frustrates and confuses." (Norman, 2007)

Norman talked about inappropriate use of feedback is frustrating with simple devices such as elevators and mentioned his colleague's frustrating experience with elevators. His colleague missed  elevators several times due to no sound to signal their arrival or departure.


The calgary transit has been the top frustrating thing to me since I came here. The bus won't stop until someone drags the ring. As a newcomer, I'm unfamiliar with all the surroundings. Although I know the stop ID of my destination, I really have difficulty knowing when to drag the ring and when to get off without any kind of notice, especially when it is my first time to a new place. I believe I'm not the only one complaining about it. The bus transit has completely no communication with passengers. Appropriate feedback, like notifying us the name of next stop, will make a great difference in our convenient life.

"Quiet is good; silence may not be." (Norman, 2007)

Norman referred to that we need natural sounds created by internal operations of devices to reassure they are working properly. But I prefer to choose silent home appliances. The reasons are as follows:
1. Some noise poduced by home appliances is really disturbing. I enjoy quiet environment.
2. People can detect whether appliances are operating well or not without sounds.
For example, I don't want to hear the disturbing whir of the fan for home heating system. Without the whir of fan, I can also know if there's something wrong with the heating system through the temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment